Adaptation Strategies for the Y-K Delta Region.
ADAPT Y-K Delta
Climate change is affecting the Yukon-Kuskokwim (Y-K) Delta, from fish and wildlife habitats, to access to subsistence foods, to the stability of the ground under roads, runways and buildings. These changes are likely to continue and intensify. This project is designed to help build resilience for Y-K Delta resources and the people who depend on them by organizing a regionally-driven group of tribal and community leaders, regional organizations, individuals, researchers and public resource managers to develop practical adaptation strategies.
A Better Understanding and Focus on Actionable Strategies
Working with tribal and community organizations, public agencies and other regional stakeholders, this project will take a collaborative approach to identify and address environmental changes affecting people, cultural and natural resources in the Y-K Delta region. The project’s geographic boundaries are expected to be similar to the Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge.
Project objectives include:
- Identify locally important priority resources to be the project focus (examples listed at right).
- Identify threats and opportunities affecting these resources.
- Develop strategies that set out practical steps to conserve and enhance these resources in future.
Emerging Regional Natural and Cultural Resource Focus Topics
Early in this process, the Steering Committee will identify 4-6 resources that are important to local life. By narrowing the focus, we can better understand specific threats and opportunities, and develop more detailed, practical strategies to sustain those resources. Examples of resource candidates are listed below and will be revised with the Steering Committee.
Example Resource Candidates:
- Moose and caribou
- Cultural resources/sites
- Housing, transportation routes, infrastructure
- Waterfowl and shorebird habitats
11/28 ATCEM Session Title: 3 Successful Climate Change Adaptation Projects
3:15-4:05pm @ Fireweed Conference Room, Hilton Anchorage Downtown
11/29 BIA Provider’s Session Title: Climate Change Adaption in Alaska – Case studies from SE, the YK Delta, and the Statewide Adapt Ak project
8:00-9:45am @ Dena’ina Center
11/29 ATCEM Workshop: Adapt YK: Practical Strategies for Climate Change Action
1:30-3:40pm @ Hilton Anchorage Downtown
Have questions or comments for the Adapt Y-K Delta project team? Want to find out how you can become engaged in the planning process?
Send us an email at AdaptAK907@gmail.com or using the form to the left.
News and Project Updates
- Association of Village Council Presidents
- Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
- Alaska Sea Grant
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Yukon Delta National Wildlife Refuge
- Alaska Silver Jackets Partnership, including:
- Alaska Department of Commerce, Community and Economic Development, Division of Community and Regional Affairs, RiskMAP Program
- Alaska Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, State Hazard Mitigation Officer
- Denali Commission
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, National Weather Service
- Western Alaska Landscape Conservation Cooperative
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers